Last Alteration: Sunday 07 April 2013

Wothorpe Towers

GPS Coordinates

52°38'07"-00°29'10" show decimal

Google Earth

Location Point

Streetmap

Online Map

Wothorpe Towers
Wothorpe on the Hill, Cambridgeshire, PE9 3JG

Wothorpe Towers (also known as Wothorpe House) was built between 1615 and 1623 by Thomas Cecil, Earl of Exeter as a detached lodge (dowager house) for Burghley House. It was partially demolished in 1790 in favour of a working farm. The ruins have been under threat of demolition.

After being abandoned for some time, the towers and farm were purchased by Paul and Janet Griffin from the Burghley House Preservation Trust in 2004; they are in the process of renovating the whole property.

19 Jun 2007: The farm and buildings are all now collectively known as Wothorpe Towers; all the listed historic buildings and the historic landscape on which they stand are undergoing painstaking conservation and repair to ensure their continued existence and their use by us a single family house as well as their future preservation. When the approved works of consolidation have been carried out to the nationally important Towers - we shall be granting public access to them during the course of each year - for the first time in their history. (Paul and Janet Griffin)

How to get here:

»

Road: A1 - Take the A1 to Stamford, and then exit at the junction with the A43/A16 for Wothorpe. Head southwest towards Collyweston and Duddington, and there is a left hand turn a couple of hundred yards along from the A1, leading to a nursery and some houses. +

Parking Details

roadside by houses

Where to walk

head along the public bridlepath opposite the houses, and this leads on past the farm alongside the Tower.

This location is private and has no or limited access only. The Tower and farm are private; there is a public bridlepath that runs along the west and south sides of the tower (the sides filmed). The owners have reported that the site will be open for authorised visits in the future once renovations are complete, and ask that people in the meantime will not be tempted to trespass.

 

Access: privateStatus: recognisableSouth

Photo

Photograph taken: 22nd May 2007 by Chuck Foster

Battlefield (3)
Screen Shot
Filmed: 7 May 1989
Establishing shot of Morgaine's base.

 

Additional Notes:

»

There is a wall that runs around the southern side of the Tower, obscuring the lower half of the tower; however there is a gate directly in front from which you can take a photo.

 

Access: privateStatus: recognisableWest

Photo

Photograph taken: 22nd May 2007 by Chuck Foster

Battlefield (3)
Screen Shot
Filmed: 7 May 1989
Mordred makes his way back to Morgaine.

 

Other nearby locations:

»

Castle Cement Quarry (Battlefield). Road: Turn right out of the side road, and then turn left onto the A1. Follow it to the next junction (with the A6121) and then turn left and head towards Ketton - the works are very visible from the road! Head past the works and then turn right onto a road that takes you up to the works entrance. Parking roadside

»

Barnsdale (Battlefield). Road: Turn right out of the side road, and then turn left onto the A1. Follow it for two junctions, exiting at the A606 and then head towards Oakham. When you reach Barnsdale, turn left towards the Rutland Water north shore car park. Continue across the roundabout down the hill to the bed and breakfast. Parking roadside

»

Twyford Wood (Battlefield). Road: Turn right out of the side road, and then turn left onto the A1. Follow it to Colsterworth, then at the roundabout head right (east) onto the A151. The woods car park is signposted on the right. Parking woods car park

Additional locations as the crow flies:

»

Hambleton Woods (Battlefield): 7.51 miles.

»

Hambleton Old Hall (Battlefield): 7.89 miles.

»

Hambleton (Battlefield): 7.91 miles.

Further links about the location:

»

Peterborough Country Council - Wothorpe House Village Design Statement

Related Stories

»

Battlefield [7 May 1989]: Morgaine's base of operations on Earth

Information, downloads, photographs and other media are provided for reference and for personal use only (planning visits etc.) - they remain the copyright of their respective authors and may not be duplicated on any other website or media without prior permission.

All screen captures are the copyright of the BBC and appear here as reference to illustrate the location in comparison with how it looked at the time of filming and the present day; no attempt is made to supercede this or any other copyright.






Webpage meets XHTML+RDFa standard Webpage meets CSS standard

Page visited 12547 times

THE LOCATIONS GUIDE IS COPYRIGHT © 2014 CHUCK FOSTER AND HOSTED BY NEWS IN TIME AND SPACE LTD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

DOCTOR WHO IS COPYRIGHT © BRITISH BROADCASTING CORPORATION (BBC) 1963, 2014.
NO INFRINGEMENT OF THIS COPYRIGHT IS EITHER IMPLIED OR INTENDED.